Tuesday, January 8, 2008

That Pioneering Spirit

I was watching the history channel tonight, particularly a show on the moons of Jupiter. In it they mentioned that there has been discussion on the possibility of manned missions to some of these satellites.

That got me to thinking about the old chart that we had on the wall of my classroom back when I was in the fourth grade. It had a projected time line on the study of Mars. The best that I can remember, it seemed that the projection stated year 2012 as the date that we send an extended manned mission to Mars' surface.

This in turn caused me to think of Heinlein's novel "Time Enough for Love" in which Lazarus Long hypothesizes on the fundamental nature of humans who were driven to colonize other planets.

I'm sure you're wondering if I have a point to this. I do and here it is. Would you choose to leave the Earth if you were given the opportunity to colonize another world?

Feel free to reply here or in your own blog.

No comments: