Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Egads

We had a couple of vendors visit us today at work, trying to steal some of our business away from their competitors. As part of this, we were treated to lunch.

During the course of our conversation, the topic turned, as they often do, to politics. And then something unnerving happened. The vendor stated that he couldn't think of a single candidate for president from the Republican party who is still truly conservative except for Fred Thompson. I quickly put in Ron Paul's name into the mix, to which the vendor replied that he had not heard anything about Dr. Paul. I was interrupted by one of the senior engineers. "It's really too bad he dropped out of the race."

I was dumbfounded. I hadn't checked Dr. Paul's site in a few days and I flatly refuse to watch any of the news networks that are available on cable and so I couldn't reply with anything beyond, "Oh. I hadn't heard that." But frankly, it seems incredibly unlikely to me. But I'm the newbie.

And of course, now I'm home where I have unlimited access to the internet (freaking sonicwall), and I see that Dr. Paul is still going strong. And I'm still dumbfounded! How is it that someone could even mistakenly get that impression? I can't think of anyone from the Republican top candidates who dropped out of the race recently, so that can't be it. Could it just be an assumption due to the lack of publicity for Dr. Paul?

This is really rather disheartening.

No comments: