Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Organic LEDs

One of the high points of the vendor visit that I mentioned in the previous post was a mention of a new technology that I hadn't heard of before. Organic LEDs. Sony has already presented prototype televisions using this technology. This was brought up in the context of using LED touchscreens in place of the old mechanical switches that are the staple of our industry.

One of the things that really excites me about this particular technology is the ability to deposit the organic compounds that the OLEDs consist of onto flexible substrates. I'm sure most of you have seen the sci-fi movies/tv shows where the characters pull out a long but thin device about the size of a large tv remote and pull on one side to unroll a flexible touchscreen. With the research into this technology, those special effects gurus could be modern-day prophets.

I want one.

No comments: