Friday, December 14, 2007

How to make a wallet beg for mercy

As I mentioned in my previous post, my sister swung down for a visit today. After leaving my current place of employment, we sallied forth in search of lunch. (Egads but I love having half days on Friday!) Being the good brother I am, I picked up the tab. Then she managed to coerce me into doing some shopping.

To tell the truth, all it took was her asking if I minded doing some looking around. I had completely forgotten that the Christmas rush is upon us.

We made a quick stop by the local branch of her shoe store where I was educated on exactly how they were doing everything wrong. And then listen to complaints about how, in spite of this incompetence, they still managed to be the highest grossing store in the state.

Then we hit Target. And this is where the cries of mercy from yon pocket book come into play. We had intended to do a little shopping for some of our family members on our mother's side. We managed to pick out a couple of items that seemed likely candidates for a few folks on our list. Then we entered the DVD section...

Long story short, we ended up purchasing at least three times as much, price-wise, for ourselves as we did for those on our list. There were just too many good deals that we absolutely knew we were never going to see again. My sister ended up with three seasons of Friends while I managed to pick up a box set of The Lord of the Rings and the Bourne trilogy.

I decided at that point that it might be for the best to skip the trip I had planned to Best Buy...

No comments: