Friday, March 1, 2013

Housing Woes

Gonna go on a little pity trip here.  Feel free to skip this one if you're not interested in hearing me whine.

So in the last month, both my truck and my neighbors' apartment have been broken into.  The first only surprised me in that it took this long for it to happen.  The second, however, has me worried.  Yes, I have a safe but based on what I heard of the neighbors' conversation with the maintenance man, I'm not certain the thieves couldn't have made off with my guns, safe and all.

I really do not expect thievery to get any less common around here, so I've decided it's time to start looking for somewhere else to live.  The big question right now is to rent or buy.  I'm going to have to be honest and say that I doubt I will be finding employment elsewhere that will have anywhere near the salary and benefits that I'm getting right now.  That and the low interest rates on housing loans right now are pushing me toward purchasing. However, I am having a devil of a time finding a house that comes even close to the criteria I want in a home.  I specifically want a place that's outside city limits, not in a sub-division, less than 45 minutes' drive from work, and that has enough room to allow me to set up a 25 yard range but is small enough to not be overly difficult to take care of the lawn. Defining things that narrowly almost guarantees that it'll be a while before I find something that matches but I know that I wouldn't be happy with anything less.

At the same time, I need to find something quickly before I come back to my apartment to find the door kicked in and my safe gone.

I really want to get away from renting.  I've been a renter for the last 8 years and this entire time it's felt like I've just been throwing money out the window every time I write a rent check.  Same thing with a membership to a gun range.  If I own property, I just can't see paying someone else to let me shoot on their property.

Meh.  No sense in worrying over it.  The good Lord will provide.  He always does.

No comments: