Saturday, December 8, 2012

Snark and You

Something that has been bugging me for some time is the tendency of writers in the gun culture to use snark in response to comments from anti-gun proponents. Specifically bloggers in the gun culture who seem to have taken snark to the level of art form. I've been guilty of using it myself. After thinking about it for a while, though, I've decided to make a conscious effort to avoid using it.

My thought process on the issue goes like this. I can think of two reasons why someone is anti-gun: 1) They actively want to deprive people of the ability to protect themselves for whatever reason; 2) They don't understand guns and therefore fear them. The first group knows exactly what they are doing and trying to dissuade them is pretty much an exercise in futility. The second group is a result of the decline of the gun culture in our country and is one that may possibly be brought to see reason. Snark, however, has a tendency to put people's backs up. By using snark in response to these people, we are quite likely driving away potential allies.

Just some food for thought...

No comments: